Read Kelly's popular article dispelling the common myth that simply having a gun is the crux of personal defense.
In this article we explore the importance of recognizing our need to train for defense and to study appropriate tactics for various situations. We will further explore how to choose the right gun for concealed carry.
If you've been in a FiveC course then you know we hammer PRACTICE! No one can have too much of it, but standing at a range shooting bullseyes is not enough to keep you alive if you need to draw that gun... HERE are some SIMPLE and INEXPENSIVE opportunities for LOCAL practice that is PRACTICAL and FUN!
With the vast amounts of data available through the law-enforcement and military databases in our modern times, we no longer need to trust wives-tales and internet fables. Forensic evidence has proven that ANY bullet capable of producing 12" of penetration in ballistic gelatin makes a good defensive carry round. The following link provides evidence and recommendations:
it's not easy to truly FOCUS on that front sight bobbing around at the business end of your handgun, but the Navy Seal in this video has some awesome tips, watch it!
Iowa Code 724... (IA gun laws) a MUST read!!
in .PDF format, you can save this to refer to anytime. You should print this & carefully review its details.
You should read this carefully, and understand the meaning of such confusing ideas as weapons free zones, and be aware of the limits regarding Federal buildings and schools, etc.
Iowa application WP5... (IA Permit Application)
This is the form you will take to your county Sheriff when you apply for the permit when you APPLY FOR YOUR “WEAPONS PERMIT” if you live in Iowa. In .PDF format, you should print this and fill it out to apply for your 'IA Weapons Permit' along with:
- Iowa photo ID
- Military DD214 or a copy of your Certificate of Handgun Training (which FiveC provides)
- $50.00 for the five (5) year permit.
If you need a WI course please let us know when you initially set-up the course with us, since the class is a little different than the IA course, and the forms and corsework is also unique.
Reciprocity... (carry from state to state)
You can print a foldable wallet card detailing the 34 states which recognize your permit when you travel. Remember, the rules will vary from state to state, so if you plan to travel with your gun (recommended!) then check the laws for those states you’ll be entering.
so what about that UTAH permit?
Some people pay big bucks for a non-resident UTAH permit, but how does it differ from an IA Permit? NOT MUCH! It only adds NV & WA
...NEED SOME AR-15 TRAINING?...
Checkout out AR-15 For DEFENSE Courses
**Here's what can expect from this course:
- the instructor will be Bill Stephanopoulos
- you'll learn HOW to effectively sweep your home room to room
- you'll PRACTICE engaging 'intruders' with live fire
- you'll learn important skills in target discrimination
- you'll learn to manipulate the controls of your AR effectively
- you'll even learn how to break-down and properly maintain your AR
- The AR platform rifle was originally developed for Military use, and the instructional materials used for training soldiers in it's use are extremely useful for civilians as well. Download the manual used by US Army rifle instructors, RIFLE MARKSMANSHIP manual at: http://www.prepdbq.com/apps/documents/categories/show/16210
- Another useful tool is the OPERATORS MANUAL for M16-A2, which details service and use of the AR platform rifle from a soldier’s perspective: http://www.prepdbq.com/apps/documents/categories/show/16210
DOWNLOAD these documents and print them!
This is the stuff our military had used to equip soldiers in the use of rifles similar to your AR, this is vital info if you want to keep that gun running in every situation.
LUCKY'S CUSTOM KYDEX
I have several of these custom holsters, as do my friends, we can attest Rick Luchtenburg does quality work! Contact him if you want something just for you!
Catfish Creek Concealed Carry Courses (FiveC)